The First Journey to Philippines







Hello guys J Good day… In this blog I will tell you my very first and challenging journey to Philippines to join the project called SEA Teacher Project Batch 7. Before that, I will introduce myself. My complete name is Rizky Pratiwi, my friends usually call me Kiky or Kiprat. Kiprat? You maybe wondered, why is it be like that, it stands for the last 2 words of my front name and the front 3 words of my last name. Yes that is not important, just for your information you know :p. I am from Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan, Indonesia. I was born on Banjarmasin, March 23rd 1997. I am a seventh-semester student in English Department batch 2015 at the Faculty Teaching and Training, Lambung Mangkurat University, Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan, Indonesia. I lived at Banjarbaru but have to rent the boarding house in Banjarmasin because it quiet far to go to Campus from my house, so I went home in the weekend. I have a sister, she is in the second year of Senior High School. My father is an entrepreneur and my mother is civil servant then my beautiful cat, Lily. My hobbies are travelling, culinary, sport and of course hanging out with all of my friends, they are Yandud, Ari my little baby, Rian, Maya Entong, Yatuy, Suketi, and Hasnur. My dream is living and studying abroad also become a very great and kind person to people around me that is a teacher. Talking about my dream to live and study abroad during my studies, I am eager to enrich my studies, knowledge, know more about the educational system in other countries, develop my professional individuality and experience the student’s life abroad. I was really excited to follow this project, because the ideas about new things or how the way to teach different characters of students with different people all over the world and hear their ideas and perspectives. Related with my studying field is to teach and give new information, it is important for me to deeply understand cross-cultural differences and improve international communicative skills. I am also kind of person who gets along well with others due to being open and considerate of people and their beliefs. Therefore, doing the SEA Teacher Project Batch 7 is very helpful for me to make it all happened.
The SEA Teacher Project aka the “Pre-Service Student Teacher Exchange in Southeast Asia” is a project that has purpose to provide and help pre-service student teachers from all of universities in Southeast Asia to get the opportunity for teaching experiences in schools in other countries in Southeast Asia. SEAMEO stated seven priority areas for the eleven SEAMEO Member countries for working together to improve the quality of education in Southeast Asia. The exchange focused on 4th year students whose major are in math, science, English and pre-school. The duration is usually in one month. Students’ roles and responsibilities are assigned weekly during the one month period. Observing, Assistant in teaching, Teaching and Evaluating Reflecting. The host universities will provide the students with the mentors to guide, supervise and monitor for the practicum period.
Here is the story about my experience from the registration time until finishing the SEA Teacher Project Batch 7 that maybe will give you some or maybe many good information for whom want to join this project for the next batch, or going abroad for studying or just have a trip or travelling. Starting with the information about this project, my friend Reina or I called her Suketi told me about this project via Whatsapp and I just didn’t really interested because I was disappointed because of in the previous batch I already tried to join and sent my CV also my motivation letter but failed. On this time I tried to join but not really have really big expectation, I was scared if I will fail again. On the November 21st 2018 Reina sent the information then on the next day is the last day for the registration, exactly at 4pm. So, I wrote my CV and motivation letter in the morning of the last day and put it on my Lecturer’s table at 1pm. When I put the document of mine, I saw no one put their documents on the table yet, I was getting scared if I didn’t have any friends, then I persuaded my friend Yatuy to accompany me to join in. At the first she was scared and I tried really hard to convince her, then she wanted hehe :p. Then I helped her to collect the document at 3pm, the funny thing was only three people wanted to join the project include Yatuy and I. On the November 23rd  2018, I got a phone from my Lecturer Mom El, she asked me, would I want to join this project, I said I will tell my parents first, but she said, she already talked with my parents, and my parents agreed. So without hesitation I said YES. The amazing thing was Yatuy also was called by Mom El, and she also said YES to join in. So, both of us will join in that project. After that we were called by KUI or International office of ULM to follow the interview and Micro Teaching Test, and waiting for the interview by host University. At first I didn’t know where university and country I will be accepted by but then KUI told us, I will be hosted by Saint Mary’s University in Philippines. On December 3rd, I was called by Saint SMU and interviewed by Mom Teresa B. Tayaban the Academic Dean, School of Teacher Education and Humanities and also Miss Alexa the Secretary of the Academic Dean, School of Teacher Education and Humanities and they told me I was accepted by SMU, I was really happy and excited. On December 7th  2018, I got my Letter of Acceptance and I had to go to Philippines on Monday, January 7th  2019 at 07.00-09.00 until Monday, February 4th 2019, then I prepared all of the things what I needed such as Passport, personal things, the Orientation from Campus and also SEAMEO. I decided to booked my flight on Sunday, January, 6th  2019, the day before the arrival because I need long time to take flight from Banjarmasin to Jakarta then to Philippines. So, here is my journey from Day-1 to Day-30.

Komentar